I'm a fairly experienced Jira user, an evangelist of the product, but a relatively new Jira admin/developer.
I'm looking to add some information to the standard user story issue type in Jira, and trying to figure out the best approach for this. I've created a few additional fields, and now I have the choice between modifying the existing user story issue type, and creating a new issue type.
My personal preference would be to "clone" the gh.issue.story issue type and modify the clone; alas, cloning of an issue type doesn't seem to be an option. Alternatively, I could create a new issue type, and try to configure it in exactly the same manner as the gh.issue.story, but I'm concerned that I might lose some functionality that is based on the gh.issue.story type itself, of that I might miss a field in my translation.
Is there a "best practice" for this kind of problem, or is the approach really one of personal preference/risk-reward analysis?