One of the strengths of Rally is the ease of splitting stories. I can split a story and all unfinished subtasks migrate to the clone.
I can clone in JIRA, migrate in Progress Work and keep the old subtasks on the original.
Here is the crux of my question; I sprint plan to 40 points. A story in that plan is worth 5 points. It is attached to an epic. That story is not completed in sprint, so I clone it and migrate the open subtasks to the clone.
I do not want to double the points on the epic but I want the old ticket still attached to the epic for searchability.
Do I remove the old story from the epic to not affect sprint scope and keep the points to keep reporting consistent or do I simply 0 out the old story.
Essentially what I am trying to maintain is COMMITMENT to 40 points in the old sprint and showing that sprint scope DIDN'T change.
Rally does this by de-linking a ticket from the Epic AND allowing a story to go into the Graveyard.
Summary:
Keep my sprint scope commitments accurate over time.
Keep my epic searchability reliable
Keep historical linkage in tact to the original stories
Only claim points when stories are completed.