If I create a Git repository X at Bitbucket, can I change it to Mercurial later ?
Greetings!
The answer is, absolutely!
Here is a quick how-to link, which contains a full detailed tutorial:
http://blog.bitbucket.org/2011/10/05/converting-hg-repositories-to-git/ .. since that info was specific to coverting mercurial to git and your question is how to covert git to mercurial, I googled "bitbucket covert git to hg" and got some hits such as this:
http://ayaz.wordpress.com/2011/02/10/converting-a-git-repo-to-mercurial/
Note: the latter URL is not from Atlassian so please proceed with caution.
I hope this info was helpful.
Happy Coding!
Cheers,Jason | Atlassian
So shouldnt the anser be NO here. I mean what you can do is export/import from one type to the other. But you cant use bitbucket option to just change repository type and let bitbucket worry about conversion and commit history (while also keeping twiki, issues and others)
See: https://blog.bitbucket.org/2011/10/05/converting-hg-repositories-to-git/
Can we please have an authoritative answer to the question about the rest of the things besides the code? Based on no one saying it's possible, it looks like there isn't a way to convert an hg repo to a git repo while keeping the issues. True or False?
So the answer is NO YOU CAN'T.
The accepted solution (that refers to a dead link) talks about CONVERTING an hg repo to a new git repo. NEW one.I want to keep my existing repo, with all the issues and wikis and everything, just change the source-control from hg to git.
Can't be done.
Answer is NO, but given the sunsetting of hg in 2020, it would be great if bitbucket provided a converter.
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Bitbucket-articles/What-to-do-with-your-Mercurial-repos-when-Bitbucket-sunsets/ba-p/1155380
The best solution I found is "one click import to Github".
https://github.com/new/import
Now Github supports unlimited private repos for free user. After Bitbucket dropped its support for hg, there is no reason to keep my repos here.
Goodbye bitbucket.
Use our automation solution to migrate your repos in bulk https://linx.software/docs/samples/bitbucket/gitmigration/
Nice!
I'm migrating all the legacy Mercurial repos I got to Github!
Thanks
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.