I've been working on a JIRA 7.1 (from 6.0.7) upgrade project for what seems like 5 years now, and after a bunch of false starts, I have a pretty solid, working test instance of our JIRA server running 7.1. At first, I was thinking I would leave the test server and run an in-place upgrade on the production server, using the 7 pages of notes I have on the entire process (I've run into all sorts of little idiosyncrasies while working on this upgrade).
However, since my brain hurts, and I have this perfectly good copy of JIRA 7.1 running, I was thinking I could move everything over from the production server and call it a day, but there are a few caveats:
I had to dump my JIRA MySQL database and convert it to the proper collation and character set. The current production db has NOT been converted yet. So if I end up pointing my JIRA test instance at the old DB, it's going to choke. I assume I will need to do the dump/convert/import routine on the old DB as well.
The attachments in jira-home. I have our jira-home directory mounted on a different volume, so I can detach that volume and attach it to the Test/New Instance. However, will this wreck any configurations I've made in the new instance?
If anyone has any helpful tips/tricks/paths of least resistance, I would love your advice. I've read all the Atlassian documentation on the subject already.