I am unable to authenticate Active Directory users in JIRA via Crowd SSO. Even though I'm entering a valid username and password, JIRA login wrongly reports "Sorry, your username and password are incorrect - please try again." The atlassian-jira-security.log file shows the following unhelpful error:
"2016-11-10 00:16:56,761 http-nio-8080-exec-5 anonymous 16x610x1 1rpz5pw 172.18.1.24,127.0.0.1 /login.jsp login : 'username' tried to login but they do not have USE permission or weren't found. Deleting remember me cookie."
Again, my username and password is correct. In Crowd, I am able to log in with the exact same user account. Moreover, in Crowd's Application Authentication Test, my valid username and password are successful. JIRA simply won't let any Active Directory LDAP user log in. If I configure an Internal directory in Crowd and specify an internal user, I can log into JIRA, but I don't want to use internal directories or internal users not in Active Directory. All users for the Atlassian software must be Active Directory users.
Note that because our configuration requires the use of SSL, I have parked JIRA and Crowd behind nginx with SSL enabled and valid certificates issued.