I'm new to Jira and Greenhopper in particular. When I "Create an Issue" for Type I see four Issue Types: Bug, Enhancement, Epic, Task. If I create an Epic I can add Stories as "children". Under Stories I can add Sub-tasks. I can find docs about Sub-tasks but there is hardly any mention of Task issue types.
How are Tasks to be used and how do they relate/differ from Sub-tasks? In my thinking I would picture the hierarchy as Epic / Story / Task / Sub-task but apparently that isn't what is intended here. From what I can tell it's Epic / Story / Sub-task or Epic / Task. Is that correct? If so, what is the intended use case and differences for when to use these?
Given that Stories are non-technical issues and Epics are groups of Stories, where are you supposed to put technical descriptions of what you plan to do to resolve the issue and provide a way to further break that down into sub-tasks?
Given that our team likes to assign and track effort and time, we have found Sub-tasks don't allow assigning effort points nor does it show anywhere except on the Story they are based on (the parent). You can't see them in the Backlog. You have to view the Story or search for them to find them.
What is the expected methodology to use?