Hi,with Jira Agile I am forced to move from task-subtask concept to epis-issue concept(I am really not very happy with that).But real blocker problem for me is that I can not sum logged hours of work on issues to epic.I am missing something or it is really not possible?Thanks
Hi Zubo,
I'm confused about what you are saying, in JIRA Agile you can still use Tasks and sub-tasks just like in JIRA. An Epic is a collection of Tasks (or Stories) which is at a higher level.
You could take a look at the Epic reports underneath the report mode of JIRA Agile to see if that report gives you the information you need.
Best regards,
Peter
Thanks for answer. Task/subtask concept not work in Jira Agile the way which I expect(I can not plan subtasks in agile rapid board - but this is not big problem to switch to epic/task concept). I looked at report which you suggested - it is usefull but not for this concrete task. I need the fast way to know how many hours we spended at particular epic - this is sum of logged hours at issues under the epic(when I have tasks as epics and subtasks as stories I have sum of logged work available on task all the time - it is very comfortable).
Check out the Intelligent Reports plugin. We just released support for JIRA Agile, including a sprint timesheet which show the total hours worked for each epic.
If you need slightly different data it is very easy to get - simply design your report in Microsoft Word and fill in the data using simple point and click rules. No scripting or API to learn.
Hi,thanks for answer. Report are nice and usefull, but why I have to pay for something what worked in JIRA but after Agile ingration it is not possible any more .
JIRA Agile considers sub-tasks to be a integral part of a Story, so it wouldn't make sense to schedule some sub-tasks of a story behind sub-tasks of other stories. If you did it like that your stories wouldn't be finished.
If you use sub tasks in Stories you'll still get the nice Time Tracking (including sub tasks) that you used to have.
It is amazing that there are no out of the box field in Epics to display the aggregate of the stories held. Useful info would be Number of stories done, Total work and remaining hours.
Hi larziliere,
I know it's not the true field you are looking for but did you spot that there is something similar to what you describe on the Agile Board - Plan Mode? Open the Epic panel on the left and expand an epic. It shows number of stories, number done and sum of estimates for the epic.
Yep, my issue is that for exec dashboarding, getting into this page is not efficient. I would rather have a field I can use in the JIRA issue list macro on a Confluence page which is why I am suing this.
From my research, the solution si to use structure and cross fingers that its sync feature works as well as advertised with Jira Agile.
I agree, the ability to aggregate information by epic would be a great feature to have. At the very least, the ability to sum up logged and estimated times as is currently possible with sub tasks would be an obvious win.
The Epic Report seems have the most complete information, but it is difficult to get to. It would be great if I could open the epic report directly from the Epic page. That does not seem possible. Am I missing something?
I second the need for rolled up estimates and logged hours. I currently have an Epic with 6 Stories. Each Story has sub-tasks with estimated hours. I can view the rolled up estimates at the story level, but I cannot easily find an onscreen location where the rolled up story level estimates are further rolled up into the epic. My Scrum board shows the Estimate as 0 under the epic where I would expect it to show 18d.
FWIW our company would value the summing of logged work of Tasks in Epics just as the logged work of SubTasks are summed into Tasks.
thanks for considering adding this feature.
It amazes me how Atlassian keeps ignoring all of these requests for such a basic but very useful feature.
There are two plugins now that fulfil this task:
Does anyone know if there is an official feature request with Atlassian for this feature? If so please post here so we can vote for it.
Hi Zubo, I guess you could just use a Project Pivot Report, grouping by field "epic link".. obtaining something like:
Screenshot 2015-08-28 11.28.24.png
Hi Maurizio. How can I add or find the Project Pivot Report?
Amazing! Exactly what I was looking for!
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would add my experience. We also suffered from the lack of summing of stories etc under Epics. It is unbelievable that this has not yet been added to the product by Atlassian and it smacks of Agile as an afterthought to JIRA.
My solution was to create groovy scripts and use scripted custom fields (available via the ScriptRunner addon). I have a number of scripts that are used to calculate:
I have created two versions of these fields. One type return the "raw" value (in seconds) for export of a list of Epics to excel. The other type are html versions, output in hours and colour coded depending upon how they compare against the Epics own estimates and summations.
The only problem is that if you display a filtered list of issues with the calculated fields displayed then the display will take longer to render as the values are calculated each time they are displayed. This means that they are always up to date but can take longer to display.
Hi,
If the following may help:
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/aptis.plugins.epicSumUp
Best,
Fadoua
Could you provide me with the scripts please Barry?
Can I get one of your scripts as example?
Where is the Project Pivot Report and how do I get it we are on version 6.3
We have recently developed plugin to solve issue tracking in JIRA. It's called Epic Report, you can check it here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/biz.epicreport.epicreports/cloud/overview
cS-1.png
Or jump right into the demo:
If you do any questions about the plugin, please don't hesitate to ask.
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-8726 has been sitting around neglected since 2013 and doesn't show any signs of improving.
That's why we have created Epic Report: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/biz.epicreport.epicreports/cloud/overview
It has other functions as well, but providing totals for time estimates and story points for any issue or JQL is core feature
Thanks, but I honestly don't want any plugin involved unless the older Agile plugin that introduced epics as I want to use this in any place where I currently use issue fields. Even if I wasn't using JIRA server, I certainly don't want to pay $250 / month for missing core functionality.
Hello Barry.
I will be very interested to use your script for the summation of original estimate values under Epics. Is it possible for you to give me ? It will be a big help for me.
Regards,
Olivier
This is so pathetic that Atlassian still dont show basic report at epic and version level.
Most of people would want to see:
1) Efforts reports (Estimated, Logged & Remaining ) at Epic Level
2) Efforts reports (Estimated, Logged & Remaining ) at Version Level
3) Effort roll up from Sub-task to story to Epic
>> Should also have option to add a custom field of type Epic, which can be between Epic and Story, lets say theme.
Have you seen Pivot Report? We created it to fulfill this gap. For me those are very essential indicators you've mentioned, can't imagine any planing and time tracking without them.
Free version was perfect for my needs - thank you
I know that this is an old thread but I have just seen the requests for my original scripts. If anybody is still interested...
We have JIRA 6.3.7 with the Script Runner 3.0.6 add-on.
I created several custom scripted fields. In the corresponding “Script Runner -> Script Fields” configuration:
The groovy scripts (see link - need to have .txt extension removed) are located on our JIRA server at the above specified locations. Note that there are a couple that are imported by the others.
<<https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1EGxNZqiULURCZ-70HQf4h9w2h4UBO3vP>>
Barry.
Wonderful and thanks a lot for sharing !!
This is an old post, but still relevant since it's a current limitation. In order for me to sum time logged in estimates, story points or hours logged, there is no way to sum this to an epic without some sort of script or plugin. Otherwise I'm stuck manually summing this information. Very unimpressed by the lack of reporting functionality.
Thank you so much for sharing, Barry!
Atlassian seriously needs to implement this feature.
This can be done with Structure. Start with a query that picks up all of your epics and stories. With that you can add columns to sum all estimate/work values from tasks to show totals at the story & epic level.
This works in that specific view, but not together with e.g. plugins.
This is not a complete or perfect solution, but you can "roll up" the Original Estimates and Remaining Estimates for Stories that belong to an Epic like so:
1. Obviously create Epic and assign Stories to Epic
2. Create a filter and use the More dropdown to add the Epic Link field, matched to your new Epic. This should show you only the Stories assigned to your Epic.
3. Select the Columns dropdown to add Original and Remaining Estimates
4. Use the download/export icon to download a csv file and use a spreadsheet program to open, and sum the estimate fields. Jira seems to export estimates by the second, so I had to divide all estimates by 3600 to get hours.
I know this is an older thread, but I've been having good luck with Epic Time Tracking for JIRA. It gives 3 different summaries including time estimated, time remaining, and time logged to the Epic. You can then click on those summaries to view the issues and their estimates.
The only thing that I'm not a fan of is that the "Remaining on Epic" uses the original estimate and not the remaining estimate. So, if you increase your estimate, it won't be reflected here.
This is ridiculous. When can we expect Atlassian to fix this crucial feature. We really need time tracking for epics. This has been sitting here for 5 years.
They did it for Issues with sub-tasks, so Why shouldn't it be just as easy to do the same for issues under an Epic.
Did someone just delete my post?
They managed to do this for Issues with sub-tasks, so Why shouldn't it be just as easy to do the same for Epics with stories.
Vote up the issuehttps://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-8726
I've had to modify the scripts a little but very helpful, thanks Barry.
P.S. you're not THE Barry Millar are you?!
We shouldn't need an add-in for this really.
True.
You can use Agile Docs to sum up logged hours of issues in your Epics.
You can also see how far along your issues are based on the progress of sub-tasks.
Or, if you want a zoomed-out view of Epics only, you can uncheck "Expand All Epics":
In addition, you can use your existing Quick Filters to locate any set of Epics you like.
Hope that helps!
HI Rhys,
are you planning to publish this app for JIRA server?
Thanks,
Johannes
Hi Johannes,
I don't have a plan to publish a JIRA server version in the near future, but it's in my long term plans.
Best Regards,
Rhys
Hi Johannes, You can get the same or pretty similar result on Server (Cloud and DC) with Pivot Report: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1215414/pivot-report?hosting=server&tab=overviewThere's a bit more in fact
Extremely disappointing that Epics/Linked Issues don't behave like Tasks/Subtasks. I agree with others that you should not need a plugin just to sum the hours of Issues in your Epic.
It looks like a "SET Analytics Bot" keeps pushing the "UIS" field up a few numbers every couple days. It is now "170". Not sure if that is why the project has fallen off Atlassian's radar? Sounds like Atlassian could afford to hire a few of us as consultants...;)
This is a ridiculous issue. The whole JIRA tool is exactly for PLANNING work/projects. Why JIRA does not calculate the total estimate by epic tickets really puzzles me. This is a 1-cent feature. Atlassian, do it please! I don't have to buy 3rd party tools for fixing your unfinished code. This is very unfair.
Summy of log hours, summing of user stories.... auto status change. All these would help so much!
Hi All,
As an alternative you may want to try out our add-on to manage multiple Epics, their progress and their hierarchy on a single page.
Agile Tools - Epic Tree and Time in Status
Manage and visualize your Epics with rolled up estimate progress reports.
Key features:
Hi
You can try out our add-on to track progress of issues in Epic hierarchy on time estimates and at story points as well.
The add-on allows you to manage and visualize your Epics with rolled up estimate progress reports along with multiple Time in Status Reports ( more than 6 reports).
Key features of Epic Hierarchy:
Along with Epic Sum, you also get Links Hierarchy and Multiple Time in Status reports (to track your issues) in this add-on.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.