This is more of a philosophical topic, without any "right" answer. I am simply looking for some feedback from other community members and Portfolio users...
Currently, when my team completes an epic or initiative (all stories closed/completed), I am retaining all of the completed items in Portfolio, indefinitely. I'm not deleting anything. Everything also exists in JIRA, and all of the reporting that we do on past work currently comes from JIRA, and not from Portfolio.
The problem, for me, with retaining all of the "old" data in Portfolio, is that when I want to view the progress of an epic or initiative that isn't closed out, which requires displaying Open and Completed items, all of the old epics and initiatives get mixed in with all of the ones that aren't 100% completed. I could certainly reprioritize all of the "old" items to the bottom of the backlog, to at least get them out of the way, but this seems like a chore. Even though I'm not really using that old data in Portfolio at the moment, I'm hesitant to delete it, because I'm concerned I could be throwing away valuable data. It might be nice to see a feature that would allow displaying completed items in the backlog only if they're associated with Epics or Initiatives that are not 100% complete.
Is there value in keeping the old data around in Portfolio, or will JIRA give me all the historical information I'll ever need? I have always seen Portfolio as more of a future planning tool, but I'm very curious to hear the opinions and experiences of others.
Thanks!