Hello,
We are a lean IT organization that does both custom development and manages off-the-shelf products from vendors. Additionally, we handle the integration, maintenance, identity management, and reporting needs between all our various systems.
We are new to JIRA and Greenhopper. My question is, can anyone offer guidance or lessons learned about representing vendor software in JIRA along side software development projects? Perhaps like DevOps, but including off-the-shelf software (lots of it).
Right now, I am leaning towards breaking out each vendor's off-the-shelf system as a project, and using components to represent things like Database, Significant Submodule1, Hardware, etc.
I am also leaning towards using JIRA Project Versions to represent the currently installed version, as well as major milestones or projects (like MS Project) in the continuous lifecycle of that system, such as Major Upgrade 5.1.
If I were to use PeopleSoft as an example, I might do the following as a project structure. We do not actually use PeopleSoft, so if I have any terminology wrong please forgive me:
- PeopleSoft JIRA Project
- Components
- Database Component
- Network Component
- System Component (Hardware/OS/Storage)
- HRMS Component (HR Module)
- FMS Component (Finance Module)
- Versions
- HRMS 9.0 (Released - represents currently installed version, could be used on issues with Affects Version)
- FMS 9.0 (Released - represents currently installed version, could be used on issues with Affects Version)
- FMS 9.1 Upgrade Project (Start and End Date, used on issues with Fixed Version to associate them as project tasks. Can be renamed to FMS 9.1 when released.)
- HRMS 9.1 Upgrade Project (Start and End Date, used on issues with Fixed Version to associate them as project tasks. Can be renamed to HRMS 9.1 when released.)
- HRMS Address Form Customization Project (Start and End Date, used on issues with Fixed Version to associate them as project tasks.)
From that structure, I think we could effectively use JIRA versions to represent milestones, MS Projects, as well as actual version numbers.
I have left GreenHopper out of the mix here, but I think that's OK. If project managers can effectively use Epics and Sprints to organize work, I believe that complements the above JIRA project structure.
Feedback and advice would be welcomed and appreciated!
best,
scott