I have read thru several posts in the forum and can't quite find the answer to my situation...
Scenario:
I have specific platform tools that create Jira work items by sending an email. The body of the email becomes the work item description, and I create a custom work item summary based on the platform and some other minor info.
Want:
What I would like to do is to extract some of the data from the email body/description and use it as part of the work item summary.
Steps that I have taken:
I have updated the Jira automation that creates the work item based on the email subject to include the creation of a smart value variable that is populated by some regex that is then supposed to update the work item summary, but it is not.
Automation steps:
- Create work item if:
- Summary contains "whatever, whatever"
- Create variable:
- Variable name: investigationType
- Smart value: {{issue.description.match("created investigation\s+(.+?)\s+on\s+\d").first}}
- Edit work item fields:
- Summary: whatever, whatever - {{investigationType}}
- Labels: X, Y1, etc
- Priority: High
- Done
I have tested my regex multiple times on regex101.com with success, but for some reason the summary is still not being updated.
Sample of work item description/email body:
"SIEM created investigation CrowdStrike Falcon - A process attempted to delete a Volume Shadow Snapshot on 20 September, 2026 1:12 PM.
The priority of this investigation is Medium.
The investigation was triggered by detection rule Attacker Behavior Analytics > CrowdStrike Falcon - A process attempted to delete a Volume Shadow Snapshot in response to activity from Win11 Test."
The result should be that the work item summary is updated to be:
"whatever, whatever - CrowdStrike Falcon - A process attempted to delete a Volume Shadow Snapshot"
Questions:
- What am I doing wrong?
- Do I even need to create a variable?
- Is there something wrong with my regex?
Any/all help would be appreciated.
Thank you