I'm finding the online documentation to be inconsistent and confusing. Not sure where to look anymore?
Hi @Allen Hirsch, Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
If you want to control which work types a custom field applies to, go to:
Settings → Work items → Custom fields → find the field → More actions → Contexts and default value
There you can configure the field context for specific spaces and work types.
Then, to make the field actually appear on those work types, configure it through the space's work item layout / field scheme, depending on the configuration available on your site.
In short, context controls where the field is applicable; the layout/field configuration controls where users see it.
You can find Atlassian's documentation here. https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-custom-field-context/
Hi @Allen Hirsch ,
Welcome to the community !!
To associate custom fields with work types, go to your Space (project) settings —> Work Items —> Screens.
Expand where your required work item is present and click on links where you need to add the fields. i.e. In create screen, Edit screen or in View screen. (direct link : https://YOURDOMAIN.atlassian.net/plugins/servlet/project-config/<PROJECT-KEY>/screens
Scroll down add the required fields. Now you should be able to see the fields.
Hey @Allen Hirsch ,
On top of what the guys said, you'll need to add a field to the field scheme associated with the space where you want to configure this.
This is fairly new, as it was announced last year and rolled out at some point this year.
I got stuck with this a couple of times as I couldn't add a field to a screen/layout after I created it. Then I struggled for a while just to realize I first need to add it to a field scheme to be able to add it to a layout for specific work type(s) 😅
Anyway, are you seeing any specific issues? And also, can you maybe share which docs seem inconsistent so we can forward it to the support documentation team(s)? 👀
Cheers, Tobi
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.