How I prepared for ACP-120 in 1 month while working full-time as a Jira Admin
Passing the ACP-120 Jira Administrator for Cloud certification was a meaningful milestone in my Atlassian journey. π
I passed the exam in September 2025, and looking back, my preparation was not about starting from zero.
Before taking ACP-120, I had already earned ACP-100 Jira Administration for Data Center, so I had a strong foundation in Jira administration concepts such as workflows, schemes, fields, permissions, notifications, boards, and project configuration.
That helped a lot, but I also knew ACP-120 would bring a different perspective focused on Jira Cloud.
This certification felt like a natural next step, but it also introduced new areas that required focused understanding.
π§ Understanding the ACP-120 challenge
ACP-120 is a comprehensive certification that focuses on how Jira Cloud works in real scenarios, not just recalling features.
Atlassian recommends 1 to 2 years of hands-on Jira Cloud administration experience, and that recommendation makes sense.
Success in this exam requires:
- Understanding how configurations impact users and projects
- Knowing how different Jira components interact
- Thinking like a Jira Admin making real decisions
ποΈ Why I took ACP-120
Another reason I decided to take ACP-120 was because Atlassian announced the retirement of ACP-100 Jira Administration for Data Center.
As part of that transition, I received a voucher for one Professional-level certification.
Since the voucher had an expiration date, I decided to use it wisely and take ACP-120 as my next certification.
When I realized I had another chance to take a Professional-level exam, my first reaction was:
βHere we go again.β π



πββΆοΈπββοΈ My preparation routine
I spent around 1 month preparing for ACP-120.
Most of my review sessions were after work, usually after dinner for about 2 to 3 hours each day.
During the day, I was already working full-time as a Jira Admin, which gave me continuous hands-on exposure.
Β
At night, my review was mostly focused on watching the ACP-120 YouTube series from The Jira Life.
I usually watched the videos with my favorite brewed coffee beside me.
It became my simple study rhythm after work: coffee, YouTube discussions, and small progress each night β
π‘ One important realization was that I needed to make time intentionally.
That meant sacrificing some of my usual downtime such as watching anime, Netflix, and even playing my PlayStation 5 to stay consistent with my study routine.

π₯ What helped me the most
One of the most helpful resources I used was this YouTube series from The Jira Life:
π Watch the ACP-120 preparation walkthrough
The series features @Rodney Nissen _Work Wranglers_ _TJL_Β "The Jira Guy",Β @Alex OrtizΒ "Dr. Jira" andΒ @Robert Wen_Cprime_Β "King Bob".
What makes it valuable is that they were also preparing for the exam themselves, not just presenting topics.
This provided:
- Real discussions and perspectives
- Practical insights and tips
- Visibility into how experienced admins think through questions
They also emphasized the value of group study.
Since I was reviewing on my own, I used these videos as a virtual study group.
This helped me:
- Hear different viewpoints
- Understand decision-making processes
- Learn how to approach exam scenarios
I also played the videos in the background during my weekend morning runs, which helped me stay consistent without needing extra study time.
π Topic I paid extra attention to
One area I focused on carefully was team-managed projects.
This is especially important if you come from a Jira Data Center (ACP-100) background.
Team-managed projects have a different administration model compared to company-managed projects.
For ACP-120, it is important to understand:
- Differences in workflows, issue types, and fields
- Permission handling
- Project-level autonomy vs admin control
This is not something you can memorize.
You need to understand the behavior and implications in real scenarios.
π Other resources I used
I also used Atlassianβs official learning materials to validate my preparation.
I went through the Atlassian self-paced training to make sure I was not missing any key topics:
π Prepare for Jira Administration for Cloud
I also reviewed the official preparation resources:
π Jira Administration for Cloud Certification Prep Resources
These resources helped keep my review aligned with the exam scope.
π‘ Key learnings
ACP-120 is not about memorizing answers.
It is about:
- Understanding why configurations are set a certain way
- Knowing how Jira components interact
- Applying knowledge to real-world situations
π‘ One key takeaway:
For me, ACP-120 felt easier compared to ACP-100, mainly because I already had a strong foundation and hands-on experience. However, Jira Cloud-specific differences still required focused preparation.
π My advice for ACP-120 candidates
If you are planning to take ACP-120, here are a few tips:
-
Practice in Jira Cloud
Hands-on experience makes concepts easier to understand
-
Understand the reasoning behind configurations
Know when and why to use a setting
-
Use your real work experience
Relate exam topics to real scenarios
-
Focus on Cloud-specific differences
Especially if your background is Data Center
-
Study consistently
Small but regular effort works better
-
Try group study or simulate it
Use videos or discussions if you study alone
-
Consider AI as a study partner
Use tools like Rovo, Claude, or ChatGPT to simulate scenario-based questions
π Final thoughts
For me, ACP-120 was more than just another certification.
It reinforced that being a Jira Admin is not just about knowing where settings are located. It is about understanding how configurations support teams, governance, and daily work.
Preparation does not require perfection.
It requires consistency and intentional effort.
π Related discussion
I originally shared my ACP-120 experience as a Discussion post in the Atlassian Community.
This article is a more structured version of that journey.
πΒ π₯ My ACP-120 Journey ππββοΈβΆοΈ β Late Nights, Weekend Runs, and YouTube Study Sessions
