I'll first preface this by saying I understand that Jira Server is out of support, so hoping the community can help shed some light on a permissions issue.
We have a trio of given projects, where we have a matching named security groups - for the sake of the scenario we'll call them Projects 1, 2, and 3.
- Project 1 Security Group contains John and Joe
- Project 2 Security Group Contains Mary and Margaret
- Project 3 Security Group Contains a generically inclusive group for all users
Under the Project permissions
In the project settings for each of project 1 and 2, the Browse Projects permission is set to Group with the named security group. It's expected that users from group 2 cannot see Project 1 in the list of Projects (Projects -> View all projects) and users from group 1 cannot see project 2.
This works as expected.
Under the Issue permissions
Under the Assignable User permission, we have the named project group as well as the generic group - this permits people that are not normally involved in the project to take specific task (ticket) assignments.
The user should not normally be able to see the project, because the browser project permission isnt' assigned. They should be able to see the ticket assigned to them.
When we have this configuration in place, they cannot see either project 1 or 2, and we're able to assign the ticket to a non-member of either SG. Unfortunately, the user cannot access the ticket, even if assigned until we also grant them Browse Projects permission.
Is it possible to hide projects from users that do not normally have access and only allow them to see the project/ticket when they are marked as an assignee?
If I've missed important data, please ask and I'll share as much as I can.
Joey