remote: CHANGE-3222 - Functionality has been deprecated remote: App passwords are deprecated and must be replaced with API tokens. remote: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/bitbucket/changelog#CHANGE-3222 fatal: unable to access 'https://bitbucket.org/safehands-fintech/safehands_backend.git/': The requested URL returned error: 410
Hey @Superadmin ,
What seems to be an issue here?
To continue performing Git operations, you need to create a token specifically for your Atlassian account:
Go to your Atlassian account settings (select your profile icon > Account settings). Select the Security tab on the top navigation bar. Click Create and manage API tokens > Create API token with scopes. Select Bitbucket as the app and choose the required scopes. For standard Git operations (clone, push, pull), you must select: read:repository:bitbucket write:repository:bitbucket Copy the generated token immediately, as it will not be shown again
Go to your Atlassian account settings (select your profile icon > Account settings).
Select the Security tab on the top navigation bar.
Click Create and manage API tokens > Create API token with scopes.
Select Bitbucket as the app and choose the required scopes. For standard Git operations (clone, push, pull), you must select:
read:repository:bitbucket
write:repository:bitbucket
Copy the generated token immediately, as it will not be shown again
And once you have the token, you'd need to update your local Git config or credential manager. 👀
As stated here, app passwords are undergoing a series of controlled brownouts starting on Jun 9, 2026 and will be permanently removed on Jul 28, 2026.
Cheers,Tobi
Hi,
When I go to the Account Settings, the only section I see is the Linked accounts. There's no navigation bar or anything. How do I create an API token?
Best,
@Lluc Sanfeliu Bosch can you try to navigate here: https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/security/api-tokens?
In some case read:workspace:bitbucket will be also required.
(as per use of token replacing username and password)
!! For MAC SourceTree users : Reboot your mac after doing changes presented here Add an API token to Sourcetree or another application
Restart of SourceTree on MAC didn't solve the issue a full reboot did.On windows SourceTree application just a restart of the app solved issues.
I have this problem "sometimes". Sourcetree (Mac) starts getting the error... and sometime later it stats to work again. It happend to me several times this week.
I had passwords inserted in the origin URL... thats not ideal.. putting the api token seems to work.
Im facing a similar issue, where once a week, for no aparent reason, I start getting the error again. So I have to delete the API Token and create a brand new one. Then It starts working again. Until next week...
Funny thing is, When I go to revoke acces to the previous API Token it says it's never been accessed... But they do work for a while. I don't get it...
This error occurs because Bitbucket has deprecated App Passwords and now requires API tokens for Git authentication. As a result, Git operations that previously used an App Password may now fail with a 410 Gone error. To fix this, create a new API token in your Bitbucket account settings, update your saved Git credentials by replacing the old App Password with the new API token, and then authenticate using your Bitbucket username and the API token. Once your credentials have been updated, you should be able to access the repository normally.
We updated to API tokens (full permisions) and we're still getting this message several times a day
Same here! Updated to API tokens(full permissions) and see this message most of the times.
I found a solution that worked for me. Hope it helps.
I have to run this command for every project where I get this error. Sometimes a popup shows up asking for the API key, sometimes it doesn't. But this has consistently worked for me.
git remote set-url origin https://x-bitbucket-api-token-auth@bitbucket.org/{workspace}/{repository}
What worked for us on our Windows build server was to delete the stored credentials using cmdkey,
cmdkey /list | findstr /i bitbucket
cmdkey /delete:git:https://bitbucket.org
After confirming the URL and updating the token, the GUI push still didn't work. It did push through the command line. It will ask for the password though, which if you didn't save somewhere you will have to create a new token
Do we need to paste the API token in place of the x-bitbucket-api-token??
The following command can temporarily fix the problem :git remote set-url origin https://x-bitbucket-api-token-auth@bitbucket.org/{workspace}/{repository}
Thank you that worked for me to run as a command in sourctreeI did that in one of my repos, then i had to update each of my repos (in the same workspace) in sourcetree - I went to that repo's settings then edited the remote details for the url/path to be: https://x-bitbucket-api-token-auth@bitbucket.org/{workspace}/{repository} and I made the user credential be the new one I setup with API authentication.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.