At Atlassian Teams 2026 I saw a demo of Claude Code as an assignable agent in Jira. My team and I are wondering how to enable this functionality in Jira. We don't see any Claude Skills in Rovo Studio.
Following up with the actual setup process now that I've dug through the docs properly — this is not the MCP/terminal-based approach described In the comments. The real "Claude Agent for Jira (Beta)" is a Marketplace app that connects Jira directly to Anthropic's Claude Managed Agents and your GitHub org, so the agent can be assigned work items, write code, push branches, and open PRs — Jira stays the hub. Note it's not supported on HIPAA/FedRAMP instances.
Prerequisites:
Setup steps:
Full doc: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/set-up-claude-agent-for-jira/
Hi @Mike Gargano 👋🏻
First of all, welcome to community! ✨
You aren't seeing Claude Skills in Rovo Studio because Claude Code is a terminal-based agent that connects to Jira via the Model Context Protocol (MCP), rather than an in-app Rovo app. To use it, you will need to install and run it locally, then link it to your workspace.
Step 1: Generate a Jira API Token
Claude-Code-Agent
Step 2: Set up the Atlassian MCP Server
JIRA_API_TOKEN
.env.local
Step 3: Enable the Agent in Jira
admin.atlassian.com
Step 4: Start AssigningAfter the agent is activated for work items, you can open any Jira issue, click the Assignee dropdown, search for the AI agent's name you just created, and assign it to the ticket.
You can refer the documentation for more details.
I hope this helps & resolves your issue. 🙂
Thanks,Anwesha
Note that the use of API Tokens with MCP needs to be activated in your Atlassian Organisation by the respective Org Admins.
Hey @Mike Gargano
Welcome to the Atlassian Community.
From what I understand, the Claude Code agent shown at Teams 2026 was part of a demo and may not be generally available yet. That's likely why you don't see any Claude-related skills or agents in Rovo Studio.
I'd recommend keeping an eye on Atlassian announcements and release notes, as new Rovo capabilities are often rolled out gradually.
Has anyone from the Atlassian team been able to confirm whether this feature is currently in beta or still upcoming?
Yes I agree with you @Rebekka Heilmann _viadee_ and thanks for mentioning it 🙂
So I know that it's officially available for Copilot, but I have not seen it for Claude yet. This is referenced specifically here: https://community.atlassian.com/forums/Jira-articles/Introducing-Agents-in-Jira/ba-p/3194583 and here https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/collaborate-on-work-items-with-ai-agents/
But the demo I saw at Atlassian Teams during the keynote was specifically with Claude Code. Seems like it's only available for copilot currently.
I solved it with a bit of digging. It seems it's in beta, setup instructions can be found here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/set-up-claude-agent-for-jira/
We’d also like to use this, but the fact that it appears to be configured globally makes it difficult for a large corporate environment from a governance and control perspective. How are others handling this? Is there any plan for more granular controls, such as project-level restrictions or repository mapping? Has anyone heard anything about this?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.