Hi Atlassian team,
I’m on the Free plan (no support ticket access) and I’m trying to reduce the repository size shown in Bitbucket Cloud.
I rewrote history locally to remove generated/build artifacts and then force-pushed the rewritten history to Bitbucket. However, Bitbucket still shows the old large size in the Workspace → Repositories list (Size column), even after waiting.
I have two private repositories affected:
- Repo A (Android): UI still shows ~286 MB
- Repo B (iOS): UI still shows ~356 MB
What I observe from Git (from Bitbucket itself)
If I do a fresh mirror clone from Bitbucket, both repos are very small:
git clone --mirror <bitbucket_repo_ssh_or_https_url>
And git count-objects -vH on the mirror clones shows a tiny size-pack (hundreds of KB to ~1MB).
I also checked for hidden refs / PR refs and I don’t see any refs.
Question
Since the mirror clones are already small, is this a stale/cached “Size” metric in Bitbucket Cloud?
Can someone from the Bitbucket team please run a server-side git gc / repack (or otherwise refresh the repo size metric), or advise what else can keep the “Size” value high even when mirror clones are tiny?
I can share the repo links/workspace name privately if an Atlassian staff member needs them.
Thanks!