In one of my Spaces (aka Projects), I set up some Automation rules that are meant to work like this:
- When a Work item (aka Issue) is transitioned from a specific step in my workflow to another, it checks "IF: Work item matched JQL "Team[Team]" = 192891f4-4523-31c7-ae7a-799f12375fbb-3 (let's call that non-user-friendly GUID, Team A, which is another bug I think Jira should address – see JRASERVER-79310), THEN: assign to Team A's Dev Lead.
Simply put, these are the conditions:
– If Team = Team A
----- then assign it to Greg (Team A's dev lead)
– If Team = Team B
----- then assign it to Joe (Team B's dev lead)
– If Team = Team C
----- then assign it to Bob (Team C's dev lead)
and so on...
This automation will correctly process the first condition, when Team = Team A, but does not continue through these If...then...Else rules when Team = Team B, C or D.
Why not? Shouldn't it walk though this sequence of conditions from A to D? ...but it doesn't. The Work item only gets assigned properly when the very first rule meets the JQL passed in.
In short, I guess I'm trying to replicate a Case statement:
When Team = A THEN assign to Greg
When Team = B THEN assign to Joe
When Team = C THEN assign to Bob
Am I asking too much from Jira's new automation feature?
PS- the only "components" I can add in this new Automation feature of my Jira Space is (and in this order from the Jira UI):
THEN: Add an action
IF: Add a condition
FOR EACH: Add a branch
PLUS: Add an advanced component