Hello,
I recently performed a repository cleanup using git filter-repo to remove build artifacts (bin/, obj/, packages/, etc.) from our repository history. The cleanup was successful - fresh clones are now ~941MB instead of the previous ~1.8GB.
However, the Bitbucket Cloud repository size has increased from 4GB to 11.5GB instead of decreasing.
What I did:
- Ran
git filter-repo --invert-paths to remove build artifacts from all branches - Force-pushed all cleaned branches to Bitbucket Cloud
- Deleted all old tags from remote
- Created new tags on the cleaned commits
- Force-pushed tags
Current situation:
- Fresh clones: ~941MB ✅ (correct size)
git ls-remote shows only cleaned refs ✅- Bitbucket UI repository size: 11.5GB ❌ (should be ~1GB)
It appears Bitbucket is retaining both the old unreferenced objects (~4GB) and the new filtered objects (~941MB), totaling 11.5GB.
Question: How can I trigger garbage collection on Bitbucket Cloud to remove the unreferenced objects from the old history? I understand automatic GC runs periodically, but is there a way to request manual GC or speed up this process?
The old objects are no longer referenced by any branches or tags, so they should be safe to prune.
Repository: <a href="https://bitbucket.org/igotchamedia/igotcha-signage-player" rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank">https://bitbucket.org/igotchamedia/igotcha-signage-player</a> (private repo)
Any help would be appreciated!