Can someone explain to me why I could begetting a 403 error when an API request originates from one location (e.g. my remote server) and not from another location (e.g. my localhost). As I understand it, a 403 means that the authorization info (username and password) and request were valid and therefore are not at issue. Rather, bitbucket does think these credentials are sufficient to grant access. How could the same password and username be valid from requests from my localhost and not from my remote server?
| 401 UNAUTHORIZED |
Returned if the call requires authentication and either the credentials provided failed or no credentials were provided. |
| 403 FORBIDDEN |
Returned if the caller attempts to make a call or modify a resource for which the caller is not authorized. The request was a valid request, the caller's authentication credentials succeeded but those credentials do not grant the caller permission to access the resource.
|
One further detail of relevance. I noticed that if I change the password to something incorrect, I will get a 401 error from bitbucket when the requests originates from my localhost. However, when the request originates from my remote server with the bad password, I still get a 403 error, suggesting that BitBucket is forbidding the request even before it looks at the username and password.
Here's a link to an earlier question dealing with the same problem:
https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/133105/bitbucket-api-call-on-private-repository-working-for-local-machine-but-not-from-remote-server
Please help. I feel so frustrated and I don't know how to resolve this issue.