Quick filters are a great feature of GH ! Thanks !
What are the semantics of a quick filter ? Does clicking on a quick filter mean "show me this", or "hide everything that's not this" ?
Suppose a typical user had a quick filter for "Issues assigned to Sam" and another one for "Issues assigned to Bill". Suppose that they clicked on both filters - what would they expect to see ? Would they expect to see all issues assigned to either Sam or Bill ? Today, they'd see no issues - the jql snippets from the separate quick filters are ANDed together. So the implementation fulfills the semantics "hide everything that's not this", which is subtly different from "show me this".
If the JQL snippets were instead ORed together, would that be more intuitive ? Would that implement the semantics "show me this" ? Clicking two filters would "show me this and that".
I can create filters with the semantics "hide this", which, when ANDed together, allow me to combine filters as follows:
- create quick filters of the form "Hide Sam" with JQL "assignee != Sam".
- if I hide Ted, Bob and Dan's issues, I can see both Sam and Bill's
- instead of toggling on the filters I want to see, I toggle all the filters on, hiding everything, and then toggle off the filters for the things I want to see.
- this does the job, but seems awfully cumbersome and more difficult to explain to others than it, arguably, needs to be
Thoughts ? Thanks.