Hi,
I’m preparing an upgrade for Jira, Confluence, and Bitbucket (Server/Data Center) and I’d like to clarify the backup scope for rollback in case the upgrade fails.
My current plan is:
Database: Take a full backup before the upgrade
Install directory: Back up via server image/snapshot (e.g. AMI)
Home directory: This is where I’m unsure how much we really need to back up for rollback
I understand that backing up the entire home directory is the safest option for rollback, but in our environment the home directories are quite large, and a full backup consumes a lot of time and resources.
I have a few specific questions:
For the purpose of rollback after a failed upgrade, is it strictly required to back up the entire home directory?
For large folders like attachments that are not expected to change much between just-before and just-after the upgrade:
Is it safe to keep using the existing attachments folder as-is,
and only restore the DB + the rest of the home/install directories when rolling back?
I’m planning to back up plugin-related directories (e.g. plugins) so that I can restore them to the pre-upgrade state.
Besides plugin folders, which subdirectories in the home directory are “must-have” for rollback?
Are there any folders that are generally safe to skip in the backup because they can be regenerated or re-downloaded?
For Jira/Confluence/Bitbucket individually, are there any official Atlassian documents or best practices that describe the minimal set of home directory folders that should be backed up for rollback?
It would be very helpful if you could share, based on your experience or Atlassian’s recommendations:
Thanks in advance for any guidance! 🙇♂️