When me, as a new user of Bitbucket pipelines, see a step option "clone: false" I suggest that this should control if that particular step clones the repo. In now way it suggests/hints that this also could mean that artifacts from previous steps will not be available. But in reality the semantics is that it will make that step unable to have those artifacts.
My question is simple: why is that designed in that way?
I have a pipeline with some steps that actually don't need my repo files, but they do need some of produces by previous steps files, namely test reports. I was curious if I can somehow optimize the pipeline time. So naturally I thought "ok, the step which uploads my test report to the S3 does not actually need the repo". Ok, then I found that there is an option "clone: false". I thought "great, that will do". And then I realized that my test reports, which are not part of my repo, and which are passed as artifacts, are not available if i add "clone: false" to my S3 upload step.
Maybe I am not experienced enough but that design choice looks a bit weird to me. Cloning the repo is one thing, and artifacts is another thing.
Would be great to hear from the community.