I was attempting to follow JIRA's documentation for creating a staging server (https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/establishing-staging-server-environments-for-jira-applications-802592273.html).
My current JIRA version is 7.1.1 running on linux against an Oracle 12c database with service desk installed.
I followed the documentation where I copied the "install" directory and the "home" directories over to a new server and created a copy of my production Oracle DB. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I copied the directories while my server was up and running. I updated my jira.home property in the jira-application.properties file since my new server location was different. I also updated my dbconfig.xml to point to my copied database instance. I decided to uncomment the "DISABLE_NOTIFICATIONS" to essentially disable mail server processing on my staging server.
I started my new JIRA server up and it appears many of the paths still point to my current production server (JAVA_HOME, CATALINA_BASE, CATALINA_HOME, temp directory, etc) even though I am connected to a copied version of the production DB. I see the JAVA_HOME parameter had been set in the setenv.sh file, so I have to manually update that environment variable. Otherwise I don't see any other references to my production directories.
I don't think I have caused any production issues or data corruption but has anyone else experienced this? Am I missing any configuration changes other than the base URL which I updated once the server was up and running? Thanks for your help!