Hi community,
can anybody enlighten me on practical use cases for the feature to inherit attributes in Asset Management?
I've now set up a structure for a client in the following way:
- Hardware
-- Desktops
-- Laptops
-- Smartphones
The 1st level, Hardware, contains all attributes that are shared between all of the 2nd level object types. It is also an abstract object type. So far this has been very practical for not having to always enter the same attributes when creating a new object-type. I guess this would be the most practical use case imo?
Because I have now encountered a problem which forces me to import all the objects anew. I wanted to set a different attribute as label, but just for the "Smartphones" object-type. But this is not possible, as the label in this case has to be the same attribute across ALL object-types underneath "Hardware".
As I think this is working as intended, but is forcing me to redo everything, I'm wondering if it's even worth it to use inheriting attributes if you are not 100% sure nothing is going to change? Is anyone able to share some good use cases of utilizing "inheriting attributes"?