Ok, this feels so stupid that I have to ask if I am stupid or if this is really the best solution for this scenario.
I have a simple automation that just updates fields in a work item if an asset is updated. Super simple, but I need something to compare to know what work items to update. I can use an attribute in assets or a number field for example in Jira, but they can both be changed and break the automation.
The logical solution is of course to use a read-only text field that you populate the Asset ID with an automation. Easy to set up, but you can't use that in any way that I can think of to compare against the asset ID value.
The reason: You are not allowed to use the = operator for read-only text fields...
So I can't directly query using something like AssetID = "{{object.id}}" and I can't replace the AssetID field in any way with variables or smart values.
So I have to use a regular number field and set up a specific automation that prevent any editing of the value. So I end up with a read only field and a number field and a stupid automation that change the number field with the values from the read only field when it is edited....
I mean, seriously, this can not be the way to actually create a secure connection with data that users can't edit in the UI?
What am I missing?