I'm using Jira cloud and have 2 projects with some linked work items.
Both projects have the same settings with the same permissions.
I have an automation rule to synchronize status between 2 linked work items, which works as intended.

In one of the projects, I have another automation rule which can trigger a status change on its work items. I do want the linked work items to be synchronized, so I checked the tick box to allow automation rules to trigger the status change synch rule to work.
Now I have an issue that the synchronization of the linked work item, triggers this same rule on the linked item as well. This would result in an infinite loop if it wasn't for an error because automation cannot transition to the status it already has (thank you workflow restriction).
To avoid this resynch, I tried to add an if statement in the branch, but for some reason the automation will always pass on that if statement and try to update the status for a 2nd time.

First of all: I thought rules should not be able to trigger themselves so why does the status change of the first run through the rule, trigger itself again? Is this because it is being triggered on a different work item?
2nd: why does my if statement not stop the 2nd run through the rule and still attempt to transition again?