Hello Atlassian Community/Support Team,
I’m encountering an issue while configuring an automation rule in Jira Cloud and would greatly appreciate your assistance. I’m trying to add an input variable within a rule group, but I’m receiving the error message: "Input must contain alphabets or numbers only in smart value format" in the value field.
Details of the Problem:
- Current Smart Value: I’m using {{triggerIssue.fields.customfield_10115}} as the value for the input variable in the rule group.
- Context: This rule is triggered when a new "New Client" work item is created in the "Intake" project. The goal is to pass the value of a custom field (ID customfield_10115, labeled "First Name") from the trigger issue into a group that creates an Epic in the "Client Management" project.
- Rule Structure: The rule includes a "Rule group" named "Client Repo" with inputs defined. The input variable is named firstName, and the value is set to {{triggerIssue.fields.customfield_10115}}.
- Error Behavior: Despite the smart value syntax appearing correct, Jira rejects it with the aforementioned error, preventing me from saving or running the rule.
Steps I’ve Tried:
- Verified that customfield_10115 is the correct ID for the "First Name" custom field via Jira Settings > Issues > Custom Fields.
- Ensured the field is associated with the "New Client" issue type and the "Intake" project’s create/edit screens.
- Checked the trigger issue to confirm the "First Name" field contains a value (e.g., "John").
- Attempted to use alternative smart values like {{issue.fields.customfield_10115}} and {{issue.customfield_10115}} (same error)
- Looked for documentation on smart value formatting and input restrictions but couldn’t find relevant guidance specific to rule groups or this error.
Questions:
- Why is Jira rejecting {{triggerIssue.fields.customfield_10115}} with this error? Is it a syntax issue, a limitation in rule groups, or a configuration problem?
- How should I correctly format the smart value for an input variable in a rule group to pass custom field data dynamically?
- Where can I find official documentation or resources on smart value usage and input/output restrictions in Jira automation rule groups?
Request for Help: Please point me to the right documentation or provide a step-by-step solution to resolve this error. I’d like to ensure the input variable can dynamically pull the "First Name" value into the "Client Repo" group for creating the Epic. Any insights or workarounds would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you, Luka
