Hi everyone,
I’m currently working on a Jira configuration and need some advice regarding the Resolution field. Our business team has requested that this field should not be mandatory, but still editable, and it should be automatically set to "Done" when the issue status is transitioned to either "Done" or "Obsolete".
I’ve already handled the automatic update part using post functions – that works well and is well documented.
I’m using three separate screens for the issue type: Create, Edit, and View. To avoid making Resolution mandatory at creation, I’ve removed it from the Create screen, which works fine.
Here’s the problem:
If I include the Resolution field on the Edit screen, it becomes mandatory when users try to update the issue later.
If I remove it from the Edit screen, it’s no longer mandatory, but also not editable anymore.
So my questions are:
What is the best practice here?
Is it recommended to let users manually update the Resolution field at all?
Has anyone dealt with a similar setup, and do you have any suggestions?
Thanks a lot in advance!