This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring estimation and tracking
Ask your question here...
Have you created any numeric custom fields for it to work with?
Hi!
No I have not. I thought it meant "any" field. Is there a way I can use "remaining estimate" as an estimation metric instead of "original estimate"?
An estimate has to be numeric - I'm not sure how you'd expect a useful estimate to emerge from other types of field (a select list with options of Penguin, Cat and Wombat for example).
Using remaining estimate as an estimation metric would be terribly useless as well - the most simple explanation would be that you'd be double counting everything, or the logged work would cancel it out - all of your charts and reports would be utterly meaningless. The whole point of the estimate is that you say "we think it'll take X", then report on how close you get to X.
OK. Well, how do I properly deal with the following situation?
We have an issue in a sprint that we estimate to 10 hours. In the sprint 11 hours of work is logged, but the issue is not done, and is moved to the next sprint. We re-estimate the issue and set 5 hours on the "remaining" estimate, but since only "original" estimate is counted, it now looks like the issue is done.
I guess what I'm really after is a method of estimation where it counts "remaining estimate at start of sprint", or something like that... Either that or I'm just misunderstanding this whole concept completely. How do you reccomend that issues that are not done by the end of a sprint but has used up all their estimated hours are handled?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.