With Agentic AI on the rise I would love to see an official Atlassian MCP server for Bitbucket. I would imagine the available tools would map with the scope of an access token request.
G'day, @Michel Metselaar
Welcome to the community!
I'm not familiar with MCP, so can you please provide more context here so I can raise a feature request?
Regards,Syahrul
Hai @Syahrul ,
Thanks for your reply.
MCP stands for Model Context Protocol, an emerging standard for AI Agents to interact with services.
You can find more on this standard here: https://modelcontextprotocol.io/introduction
Your colleague Kun Chen has written an article about remote MCP server for Confluence and Jira:
https://community.atlassian.com/forums/Atlassian-Platform-articles/Using-the-Atlassian-Remote-MCP-Server-Beta/ba-p/3005104
Hey @Michel Metselaar
Ah, I see. I had a different understanding of the MCP terms. After a quick search, it appears that we don't have this feature for Bitbucket cloud yet. However, I can't confirm if it's being discussed elsewhere. If you provide me with some use cases that you believe would be beneficial for Bitbucket MCP, I'd be happy to submit a feature request on your behalf.
Hi @Syahrul,
Sorry I missed your answer, I intend to respond sooner...
One of the use cases I want to explore is the implementation of agentic teams to tackle technical debt. Our Product Owners always prioritize business value over technical upgrades (as in, allocate human resources to story points). Sometimes some of our code needs to be rewritten to make package upgrades possible, and I want to create agents to do so. We want these agents to operate in accordance with MCP (and A2A) protocols, for we think that these protocols have the potential to become the standard.
Another use case is that we have trouble finding qualified personnel while the pressure on those we have increases every month. We want to reduce workload by having agents to interact with our Atlassian support platform (Jira, Confluence and Bitbucket), the first two are covered (see previous link), and we are desperately waiting for the third.
I hope these two use cases are sufficient for you to become an advocate for this feature of Bitbucket cloud. If you need more info, don't hesitate to ask.
Is MCP available now for Atlassian bitbucket?
Everyone interested in getting this MCP, please log in and vote for this functionality: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-23748
Any progress or update when one is going to be released?
We have been waiting for MCP server for Bitbucket. Recently we have tried Claude Code with Github MCP and that works very well. Since we don't have MCP for bitbucket, we are thinking to move away from Bitbucket to Github. There has been ongoing discussions since long to move away but now there is a strong reason to migrate to Github. It's difficult to see Atlassian Bitbucket team is not catching up with current trend.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.