Hi All,
I'm looking for a bit of help regarding automations of custom fields on an epic
A bit of context about this, I created a kanban board where the manual creation of an EPIC drives the auto creation of a TASK, then subsequently the transition of that task to DONE then drives another auto creation task and so on.
So the epic is the parent of the 1st task. The 1st task is the parent of the 2nd task etc.
I am looking to be able to write some automations which will auto populate plain text custom fields within the original epic for that task chain which related to the status of the task itself.
For instance, when a task is transitioned to DONE. I then want the epic issue to have the plain text custom field reflect that status and read 'DONE'. Likewise when the task is transitioned to in progress, and when it's initially created and automatically put in To Do.
I have tried a few different ways but I can't seem to get it to work.
I have tried adding in a branch within the automation I already have which generates the subsequent task.
I have also tried setting up a separate rule which looks for when a task is transitioned, and has a summary field containing a certain name then it will update the epic field for that task name accordingly. I cant get these to work at all, even with the help of Chat GPT.
Please see the screenshots below which show my attempts at the automation, along with the flow of task creation for reference (each grey arrow shows when a new issue is auto created.
Example.
When build tree / ref edge TASK is transitioned to DONE and subsequently created the fitting stage review TASK, I would like to be able to then update the plain text field (called Build tree ref edge) within the original EPIC to either say 'DONE' or display the week number of the year or even todays date.
The goal of doing this is then to be able to report each individual task that is against that epic with the current status of that particular task
All help greatly appreciated!



