Dear BitBucket Support Team,
I recently received a notification stating that “Your workspace is over 1 GB – please take action now.”. I'm currently reviewing the projects under my account and noticed something that I'd like to clarify with your help.
In particular, the repository `<redacted>` is reported in the Bitbucket UI to be using 959.77 MB. However, when I clone this repository locally, it takes up significantly less space - around 444 MB, as shown by the `du -sm` command, and 465.1 MB on disk according to Finder’s “Get Info”.
Here are the commands I ran to verify this:
>git clone <repo_url>
Cloning into 'repo-name'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 71533, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (6396/6396), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (4641/4641), done.
remote: Total 71533 (delta 5161), reused 2015 (delta 1751), pack-reused 65137 (from 1)
Receiving objects: 100% (71533/71533), 317.85 MiB | 6.89 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (50734/50734), done.
>du -sm repo-name
444 repo-name
Could you help me understand:
1. Why the repository size shown in BitBucket is significantly larger than the actual local clone?
2. Is this due to Git history, pack files, or something else stored in the remote?
3. Are there any recommended steps I can take to reduce the size of this repository on BitBucket’s side?
Thank you for your time and support.
Best regards,
Yakiv