Hi. I am trying to modify an existing automation rule (AR) that has been working since it was created three years ago.
This scheduled automation rule is runs every one hour and retrieve records where the "issue type equals Epic and project equals CC and status equals Invoicing and Approvals."
If all of the stories linked to the Epic are in "Done" or "Completed" status, the Epic transitions from "Invoicing and Approvals" to "Construction and Commissioning" status.

I need to add a new condition to this rule that checks if the Operations Contact field is empty. If it is not, the Epic transitions from "Invoicing and Approvals" to "Construction and Commissioning" status, just like the current AR does. However, if the Operations Contact field on the EPIC is empty, then the Epic status doesn't change and an email is set to a group mailbox to populated the Operations Contact field.
I have read multiple knowledge articles, Atlassian documentation, but I can't find an resolution to my issue.
I made the following AR configurations but can't seem to get them to work properly.
1) If/Else - it would send email for Epics where the "Operations Contact" field was populated. I read the If/Else functionality can be tricky so I tried simpler approach (#2)

2) Multiple Branches - in addition to the conditions in the current automation rule, I add a check for the Operations Contact. This one was looking promising however when I was digging into the audit logs I noticed that an email was sent for an Epic that had open stories and no operations contact. Because I used "And" and not "Or" I would have expected the Epic to not pass the first condition in the second branch and do nothing.
Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nicole