Hi all,
Is there a way to make a custom field mandatory only when the issue is moved to a certain status?
Regards,
Samuel Srun.
Hi Samuel,
If you have an add-on like JWME or ScriptRunner or JSU - then you an add a validator to the workflow for the transition to the appropriate status for Required Field.
Hi @Samuel James ,
Yes, it is possible to do this natively in Jira.
Let's say you want a text box called "The reason" to be filled whenever an issue is transitioned to the "Impediment" status. I'll provide the exact steps for the scenario above, but you can adapt them to fit your needs:
This will ensure that when an issue is transitioned to the "Impediment" status, a screen will appear prompting the user to fill out the "The reason" field.
I hope this helps! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or encounter any issues—I'll do my best to assist!
You realize that the field must be populated at the point you create the issue if it is in the Field Configuration, right?
Hi @John Funk
Thanks for pointing out this issue. Indeed, it needs to be populated when the field is set to required.
The default value of "N/A" or "TBD" can be set for "The Reason" custom field upon creation.
An automation can then clear that field after the "Issue Created" action is triggered.
I understand that in this scenario, a more efficient approach might be to use a third-party marketplace app, but I also believe in the true power of Jira.
You can’t clear out the value of a required field. Have you actually tried what you are suggesting and had it work?
I am part of the Decadis Support team and i would like to recommend you our app Jira Workflow Toolbox (Server/Data Center) .
In particular, in the transition to the corresponding status, the validator Fields required or changed checks if fields are set/empty or have/haven't changed on the transition screen.
If you need any assistance with our application, I encourage you to create a ticket on our support portal.
Best regards,
Nacho
This would be another good tool to use. :-)
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.