Are their limitations to the number of options one can have in custom fields? Hard limits or performance limits? Are their ways to improve performance when using a custom field with a large number of options?
My situation:
I have a custom field that is a multi-select with our customer names. The list of customers is quickly approaching 10,000 (good for the business, not good for a JIRA admin). The page is obviously very long with that number of options. When I need to add/remove individual customers, the Edit Options screen takes a while to load. To click any link on the page I have to mouse-over it for about 6 seconds before I can click the link/button/etc.
Is there a better practice for a field with this many options? There's no scripting or anything complicated about the field, it's just a list of values. But it's a very long list and a growing list.
If it would help, I could get more hardware thrown at the server, but I'd need to know if that would directly impact performance in this particular situation. Besides this field, we have no issues with performance.