I've been a Jira user for years, for quite a while I was receiving @mention ("x mentioned you") emails for Jira tickets anytime I was mentioned in a Comment. This was definitely true for issues Reported by Me and for issues I was a Watcher on.
Sometime this year, those emails dried up - I'm still getting notifications for any Issues updated (where I am a Watcher or Reporter), but the emails with "mentioned you" in the Subject stopped getting sent. (I've since searched all my Jira emails for "mentioned you" just in the body, but there's none like that either.)
I have missed many important conversations, and had tickets get blocked for weeks or months, as the colleague who @mentioned me naturally assumed I had received notice and was actively ignoring them. I'd sure like to be a good team player, but this isn't making it easier, as I'm the author of tons of issues and get dozens of Jira emails a day. (And yes, I know about the Summary emails, but that just shifts the problem from "scanning many separate emails" to "scanning a small number of very long & dense emails" - still not productive for me who's buried in Slacks and emails all day)
I've been digging around Community & documentation, and from what I've gathered, the most productive discussions of this same problem all point to this Jira issue:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-41364
This indicates that as of Jira 8.9, even issues in which I'm a Watcher should still cause a separate "mentioned you" email to be delivered to me.
I've confirmed we're on 8.20, so I'm assuming there must be some other condition that causes just the "mentioned you" emails to be suppressed.
I've started wondering about the Notification Schemes applied to the various projects - do these Schemes give our Jira Admins the ability to allow/suppress "mentioned you" emails? I'm not the Jira admin so I can't dig too deep into the settings to see if there's anything hidden (such as disabled options), but what I'm seeing for the relevant projects doesn't appear to have any control over "mentioned you" emails.
I don't see *anything* relevant in my Profile > Preferences - just "Autowatch" and "My Changes" settings that relate to emails.
Does anyone know of any other means for a Jira instance (with few if any plugins - we're pretty cost-conscious 'round these parts) to suppress "mentioned you" emails? Or a URI that I could hit that exposes some "hidden" capability to inspect any deeper email notification settings?