I was looking for a way to use post functions to trigger automation rules. I don't want event-based listeners but use pre-specified transitions within defined workflows. (Unfortunately, automation does not support this. See the linked discussion for details.)
As mentioned in the discussion, I found a way to do this with webhooks. Those web-hooks don't listen to events but are fired explicitly by post functions of certain transition. Technically, it works as expected and I'm happy.
However, Atlassian's document Best practices on working with WebHooks in Jira says that you actually should avoid webhooks if possible and use for example automation rules instead. They say that webhooks may slow down the system. Especially, as they have a global scope whereas automation can be done on a project level.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find any information if this is also true for my use case. I don't use event triggers for the webhooks. Instead, I fire them from pre-defined transitions.
Can anyone comment on this? Any help is greatly appreciated! I don't want to find it out the hard way *after* defining like 50 webhooks for certain transitions ;-)
Best regards,
Tim