Hello!
I'm looking for assistance with the best method to copy an existing Epic and all of the related sub-issues of that Epic as a new Epic such that it maintains all issues as well as all of the Linked Issues. However, I want the Linked Issues to be related to the newly created issues and not that of the template Epic issues.
I already have:
- An existing template Epic
- Automation to create a new Epic and all sub-issues as new issues
I do not have:
- How to create links for the new issues based on the template issue links
Someone had suggested adding labels on the issue that Blocks the Blocked by issue. This seems tedious and not overly maintainable. Each ticket needs the label added as well as updating the rule for each.
For example:
- Linked Issues
- Issue A is blocked by Issue B
- Issue C is blocked by Issue D
- Tag Template Issues:
- Issue A tag = blocked-1
- Issue B tag = blocks-1
- Issue C tag = blocked-2
- Issue D tag = blocks-2
- Automation (after the for-loop completes):
- blocked would = "blocked-1"
- the next if would be "blocked-2"
- JQL would be updated to "blocks-2" for the label search
- Keep going for the max number of relationships, if the template doesn't have any or only has a few, the if logic will fail to find the labels and skip that issue
I am not an administrator and will need to do this through the Jira automation UI. This is, at a high-level, how this is setup today.


Thank you for your assistance!