Hello Dear Community,
I am relatively new to my company, and there are plans to introduce PRINCE2 as our project management methodology. I would like to ask for your advice.
The situation: We are an IT department responsible for various applications. The business units submit requirements, either for existing applications or new ones, which need to be implemented in projects.
Currently, every requirement is considered a project, regardless of its size. In JIRA, each project is represented within a single JIRA project: Epic = Project to be implemented.
Now, we want to introduce PRINCE2, which poses challenges for implementation in JIRA + Confluence (these are the only tools available).
Here is my approach: For actual projects, a separate JIRA project is created. For change requests (which have previously been considered projects), a JIRA project is created for each application.
And now it gets more complicated. How can I effectively adapt PRINCE2 to JIRA and Confluence?
For projects, I have the following in mind:
- Overarching Issue Types (Phases):
- I have created the different PRINCE2 phases (e.g., "Start-Up Phase," "Initiation Phase," "Delivery Phase," "Closing Phase") as overarching Issue Types.
- PRINCE2 Phase -> Epic -> Story -> Sub-Task
- Workflow steps for each phase:
This creates, in my opinion, a meaningful hierarchy for the Advanced Roadmap. The documentation for each step of the workflow is done in Confluence. This way, I avoid having many custom fields in JIRA and keep it relatively simple.
Is this structure sensible?
- Are overarching Issue Types for the PRINCE2 phases and the associated specific workflows for the phase steps a good method?
Are there any suggestions for improvement?
- Do you have recommendations or best practices on how to implement PRINCE2 more effectively in Jira and Confluence?
The other challenge is how to represent PRINCE2 for change requests to existing applications in JIRA. These might not require as many workflow steps.
What do you think? I hope I have explained it clearly and would appreciate reading your opinions and/or finding a better way to implement this.
Thank you all very much for your input.
Best, Leo