Hello,
I have automated the process of story's status automatically changed at a certain percent of completed of sub-tasks status to Done. I am now looking at automatically updating the epic status progress from the completion of percentage of the automated story status with Done to change the Epic status to In Progress then after all the automated stories statuses are in Done Status then put the Epic status to Done status as well. My To Do status category is Backlog. This is a project plan so we are going to have every task be a sub-task and those tasks live in Stories then every story is under a umbrella of a epic. Here is a example of that setup! I do not have the function LookupIssue and I have been told that I will need to do a process that uses REST API. I do not know much about this process but I am excited to hear from anyone out there! =D
Hi @Jonathan Chatfield
You describe your automation rules do not have the Lookup Issues action; thus I am guessing you have Jira Server, correct?
If so...
First thing, please write some JQL which returns the child (and grandchild) issues for an epic, without returning the epic itself.
Then your rule could use the Send Web Request action to call the REST API issue search with that JQL. Here is a how-to article for that technique and the issue search function documentation.
When you have the response, you could use math expressions and smart value, list filtering to get the percentage from the count "done" / total count.
Kind regards,Bill
Hi, @Jonathan Chatfield. I'm not a developer myself, but I do have some getting-started tips for you:
Hope it helps,
-dave
Hello @Bill Sheboy
We have finally gotten a new version of Jira and we have lookup action and variables. Can you show me a pathway of how to make epics automatically update based off the percentage of Story's status marked Done.
No problem; glad to help! FYI...I am using Jira Cloud so please verify / test to confirm this works for your version of Jira.
The technique below uses the math expressions and list filtering I noted earlier. Let's assume you want to update the percentage "Done" whenever the status of a child issue changes, and the percentage value will be stored in a custom field in the Epic. Please adjust accordingly if those assumptions are incorrect.
{{#=}}ROUND( ( 0{{#lookupIssues}}{{#if(equals(status.name,"Done"))}}+1{{/}}{{/}} ) / {{lookupIssues.size|0}} * 100, 0){{/}}
How that works...
That percentage is by count. If instead you want the percentage based on Story Points, try this one:
{{#=}}ROUND( ( 0{{#lookupIssues}}{{#if(equals(status.name,"Done"))}}+{{Story points|0}}{{/}}{{/}} ) / {{lookupIssues.Story points.sum|0}} * 100, 0){{/}}
Thank you for responding back to me! I am currently working on this and I will try what you are writing.
I do not want my team to be touching stories and above as we will only edit Sub-tasks. I have a automation that will automatically update stories from the percentage of Done statuses from Sub-Tasks. Will this automation still be triggered if I put story if it didn't get triggered by me but by a automation?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.