Hi Atlassian Community,
I have a parent ticket: A in issuetype A and the following sub-tasks A1-sub, A2-sub, A3-sub
All sub-tasks have a status of Open
I used automation rule to clone parent ticket A from issue type A to new parent B in issue type B along with subtasks: A1-sub, A2-sub, A3-sub --> these now become B1-sub, B2, sub, B3-sub (new sub-task clones)
For the new sub-tasks clones in parent B, I would like to transition from "Open" status to "Closed"
The workflow transition going from "Open" to "Close" is valid but the status is not updated and the new subtask clones remain in "Open" status.
I raised a support ticket to Atlassian and it sounds like it is not possible to take actions on the sub-task/s of the cloned parent issue from a rule that is being executed on the original parent issue. This is because they are not directly related.
Instead to create a second automation rule to handle the transitioning of the newly created sub-tasks to the closed status. The limitation appears to be with cloned subtasks specifically since they are not directly related to the original parent issue. Within the scope of the automation rule, that is being executed on the original partent issue, Jira is not able to "access" these newly created sub-tasks.
I tried using "create variable" but I'm not familar how this works.
I was able to build a second rule to achieve this but looking to see if it can all be done in one single rule.
Please advise if using "create variable" is possible and examples would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
M