It seems the Artificial Intelligence functionality is evolving towards the right direction but still have a few aspects to evolve.
When I heard "Jira + AI", I thought we'd have some sort of LLM parsing of the issue (summary and description, at least) so that actual natural queries about its content could be asked. It seems that so far, the only "AI" we have is a JQL writer. It was a bummer to me, to be honest.
Focusing on this narrow AI usage for Jira search, I see at least two different personas:
- Jira seasoned users
- Jira users with some minimal JQL knowledge
- Jira newbie users with zero JQL knowledge
The current functionality seems to be focused on the 2nd persona. I'd guess this persona is the smaller cohort of Jira users... whereas the 3rd persona would be the one benefiting the most of it.
Focusing on this 3rd persona, there's a few flaws that are not making them ready to go in an intuitive way. Examples:
=========
Natural query: personal items
JQL generated: assignee = currentUser() AND project = "Personal Projects"
It's interesting (and positive) to notice that he found somehow that I had a project called Personal Projects. I'd assume it means some parsing is happening.
However...
Natural Query: support items
JQL generated: issueType = "Support"
As I also have a "My Support" project, I'd expect the model to also use it. But he defaulted to a issuetype that I don't even have in my site.
=========
Natural query: items that are open?
JQL generated: status = "Open"
I may want outstanding items. "Open" can either refer to an atual status or the statuscategory "To Do".
=========