This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: How to Display Sub-Task below the Parent Task in the Backlog?
Does this not work?
The information provided is not correct. Enabling Ranking in the board configuration does not show sub-tasks in Backlog-View. They do show in Sprint-View, but not in the Backlog.
Is there a way this can be achieved yet? *
* In a way that each sub-task gets it's own card.
I think that article refers to JIRA Core's business board functionality.
You mention Sprints, so you're looking at a Scrum board, which is JIRA Software, and the sub-tasks will not appear (because they're of zero use in planning a backlog)
Yes, we're indeed using an agile board where the client wanted to also view subtasks.
Ah, good, that makes sense. I'm afraid you can't get them on a backlog board (without coding), because they're useless there
The whole "useless" part seems to depend on ones way of working, I guess.
@[deleted]if you are still looking for the solution then follow below steps
1. Go to your project board. --> Board settings. --> Select card layout.
2. Select Sub-tasks from Field Name drop down and click on Add button.
3. Do same for Active sprints.
Now all your subtasks will be displayed below parent task on Backlog
That really just lists the Issue ID's - I'm thinking that people want to see the individual sub-tasks on the board as if they were tasks.
The only way I've found to do this is via a ScriptRunner filter.
Use or issueFunction in subtasksOf("\"Epic Link\" = Epic-01") alongside your current filter.
As a PM/PO, this would be an incredibly useful feature. I am currently exporting from Jira to Excel and doing Pivot tables to be able to properly estimate and plan stories where the estimates are on the sub-task level.
FWIW, there are a LOT of other community posts requesting this.
~I searched for a Jira enhancement request but couldn't find it. If someone has it, please post here.~
Found the feature request here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-7992 Please vote it up if you find it useful.
The big difference here is SCRUM v Kanban boards. I was able to get the nested sub-task view in a Kanban board, but not in a SCRUM board. Hoping the above Feature Request will resolve. I can see the value in having this view for BOTH Kanban & SCRUM.
this seems like an awesome solution, but I'm a newb and need more guidance on how to implement. can you map it to where it actually needs to be input and how to make it work in general instead just with a particular epic?
Thanks. This is what I wanted. I had set this up on a previous project and for the life of me couldnt figure it out.
I see the whole story is simply a debat between JIRA(Scum team) VS. JIRA(Kanban team), while scrum team uses kanban board in active sprint, while kanban team propose to use backlog feature. and yes botton up solution is always more user freindly....
A brutal and simple solution: JIRA only propose one board, Kanban based board, and ask user if he wants to activate backlog feature like it does today.
problem solved, and scrum team cries
It's not between Scrum and Kanban. It's between those who see subtasks as pointless noise in the backlog (it's nonsense to rank them there, so why bother), and those who want to see them.
Solution - accept that they are of no use in the backlog, and use the "links" field to display them if you still want to see them.
Nic - I've been hunting for hope on these community pages that we can display subtasks on our scrum boards and have noticed that you persistently pop up like some kind of Defender of the Dogma to tell everyone that their plans are "nonsense" or "irrelevant".
You are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Of course I agree with the principle that it doesn't make sense to rank subtasks, but that's not the reason I want to display them. I want to be able to set design a subtask that can be pushed into a sprint ahead of the sprint that the Story itself will go into (once the design work has been completed).
True, I could have a separate Design task that I issue-link to the Story, but the Subtask relationship is more apt and more elegant - much easier for the user to manage.
None of the downsides relating to ranking that your cite - irrelevance, noise, nonsense, support questions - are reasons to eliminate an option that would be useful to a lot of people for an entirely different purpose.
My anti stance is born not of dogma, but of experience. The number of times I've seen this done and complained about. It's not quite as simple as "they're useless", I've oversimplified. It really is because when they are there, people try to rank them and can't, and then find them noisy and pointless. Or just noise.
In fact, this is something I used to be on the other side of. But over the years, it's just become clear that it's (mostly) a bad idea.
We ran our Scrum team on TFS up until now, and we're transitioning to Jira, and I must say that I'm pretty disappointed with the fact that I can't have vision on sub-tasks on the backlog. In TFS, you can expand or not to see your sub-tasks. So default view of your backlog is user stories only, but if you need, you can either expand the US to see its related subtasks without having to check the detail, or see all the subtasks at once. It is much more convenient for a PO.
Granted, having a check box for "show children" would be ideal, however there is a workaround for this.
You can utilize labels for this and then configure the JQL for your swimlane to filter your label[s].
For example: project = MyProject and labels in (myLabel_1, myLabel_2)
If your child and parent issues have the corresponding labels, the child will be nested under the parent task.
I'm trying to solve this same situation. PM/PO, implementation, and even QA need to plan outside of the Sprint window... yet Jira insist that you shouldn't. The claim that it's non-sense is just pure dogma.
Just want to point out that Jira allows you to add story points to tasks and sub-task when using portfolio. The tool even adds the story point assign to each sub-task to its parent task automatically
So it is inconsistent of the software to allow you to plan with sub-tasks in one view and then in the backlog you don´t see your plan reflected. This is an issue if your team goes into the backlog and sees only the tasks assigned to them and not the subtasks (that are also part of the plan).
I have seen multiple threads about this topic and I am surprised that Atlassian has not reach the conclusion that there are clients that want to be able to see sub-tasks and other that don´t, so It probably makes sense to add that option into the scrum board configuration.
Agreed. TFS view is much better. The point above about 'they're useless' suggests you only use a backlog to prioritise which is clearly plain wrong. Any new joiner to the project, client etc who needs to understand the product and it's composition and it's scope 'at a glance' needs the hierarchy view somewhere. At the moment there is no other place than the backlog screen. I'm therefore having conversations with clients along the lines of 'this is what we're doing and why' that used to take 10min with TFS. With Jira it's a nightmare to give them this simple view.
Go back to TFS, now Azure Dev Ops. Jira is an anti-pattern to business agility. Trust me!
Pretty basic thing here, Atlassian. Orgs and Teams may or may not want to show sub-tasks at the backlog or scrum kanban board, and Jira making it so difficult and then stating that it shouldn't be needed is, indeed, an anti-pattern to teams' agility. Any view for work being done, getting done, or doing should be able to be viewed as the team desires. Not having the ease and ability to show sub-tasks on the backlog, iteration board, etc. is purely an architectural miss in your design. Get it done so that teams can stop fussing over process and tools and get back to getting shit done via people and conversations. Simple Simple Simple. Your tool is not!
The issue here is that in order to understand a story to properly rank it...sometimes you need to know and think through what rolls up to it so you can properly do so. Having related sub tasks display in an “expand/contract” fashion could be the move. Otherwise you end up doing even worse noisy hacks of elevating tasks and big bugs to that same level which completely defeats the pristine ivory tower vs practice approach you’re clinging to. I wish I could @ your CEO on this as this is the most ridiculous “telling the customer they're wrong” fiasco I’ve ever seen and belongs in a dictionary of how to NOT run a community!
Jira was designed for teams using Agile/Scrum and Kanban principles, but teams are now using it that don't follow Agile practices, they just want the tool to replace how they planned using MSProject or some planning method they have made up. It's not wrong, but it's not what Jira was designed for.
I was also using TFS earlier and many things were so easy to see and report are very difficult and time consuming in JIRA to show. As you dont see parent story and sub-task in one view to see complete picture of it. For Ex: in TFS I can just expand a story and can see estimates and sub-task and assignment and sub-task and it in same view I can assign that parent story to that person in TFS.
But in JIRA I need to open multiple screens to see complete picture. I hope JIRA brings this feature this will be a great help.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.