Now that I can finally use Confluence Databases, it is a faithful copy of what products like AirTable have been building for some time. It has the potential to be a great addition to the Atlassian platform.
Two immediate thoughts (more will follow as I explore it in more detail):
- The integration with Jira feels like it needs a lot more work (something I find myself saying frequently with regards to Confluence). You can manually add a Jira issue to a column but doing so doesn't have any effect on Jira - not even a backlink. I would expect this to create a new linking relationship between what I'm capturing in the row of the database table, and the Jira issue I'm including.
- The inclusion of the AirTable ability to choose how the database is viewed (card, table, board) introduces yet more product use-case confusion between Jira and Confluence (and Trello for that matter). I now have a 3rd tool to choose from when building tracking and work visualisation - and one that isn't tightly integrated with Jira.
More later