I recently posted a question and received and answer for the method of aggregating data from task to Epic. The challenge has morphed a little - I am picking up work in a mature Jira environment and now wish to report on "parent" issues that were not part of the original design.
Is it possible through automation to aggregate data from peer issues, assuming that suitable fields exist in both the "simulated" parent and child?
I have in mind using a drop-down list in an issue, which would select the target for aggregation. All candidate targets issues would be tagged (Yes / No, and target ID) as a target, and would contain the custom field that contains the aggregated data.
The pseudo script would be something like this:
Does this issue contain data that needs to be aggregated?
If yes
Get its numeric data from the ADD ME field
Look for the target from its MY TARGET field
Find the issue tagged as TARGET ID and add the data to its target field
- is this achievable through automation?
Most likely somebody will suggest adding a new issue level in the hierarchy and I agree that would be a good solution. However I must work within the boundaries of the existing environment - it's not for me to change the licensing agreement.