Hi,
Id like to find the best way to track what we originally estimated our story points would be. Versus what they actually turned out to be.
So that we can learn if we are ever vastly estimating any items wrongly. E.g. thought it would be a 5, ends up being a 13.
Context: My team uses Story Points and I believe their estimations are stable (e.g. a 3 one week, would be a 3 the next week).
To hold the 'baseline' original estimate:
I've heard I can make an Estimated Points field (however I cannot do this myself and need to ask permission from a higher administrator).
I do have the 'Original estimate' field - which deals in TIME not POINTS.
My plan would be to automate a 'copy' of the Story Points field, when the Story is pulled into a Sprint (or when a sprint containing it is started).
This copy would land in either the estimated points field that doesnt exist yet, or bodged into the original estimate field = where 6 points equals 6 minutes.
To track the actual Story Points through the Sprint
Hypothetical 1:
Hypothetically lets say we originally estimate it to be a 5.
During the sprint we think it remains a 5.
I'd like to copy the Story points at the end (when item is set to done) into an 'Actual Story Points' field
So that I can then somehow compare Baseline Estimate versus Actual.
So in this scenario:
The original baseline estimate (ideally in Estimated Points field) would show 5
The story points throughout did not change - so show 5
And the actual Story points (when the story closed) - shows 5
Hypothetical 2:
Hypothetically lets say we originally estimate it to be a 5.
During the sprint we think it increased to a 8.
I'd like to copy the Story points at the end (when item is set to done) into an 'Actual Story Points' field
So that I can then somehow compare Baseline Estimate versus Actual.
So in this scenario:
The original baseline estimate (ideally in Estimated Points field) would show 5
The story points throughout did change - so show 8
And the actual Story points (when the story closed) - shows 8.
Other useful bits:
I did think we could potentially bodge the 'time tracking' feature
Or just update story points during the sprint (via each person writing their part in the comments when they hand over)
1. What are peoples thoughts on the best way to complete the above?
2. Any help with setting up the automations is also appreciated.