We have a complex structure in Plans, I have a rule to copy certain field values in "Child" issues when I link an Epic to an Initiative.
When I link in Plans, the Epic is updated with new "Parent Link" value, but the Initiative (in this case the Parent) has no update (even issue history does not show this change) and therefore does not trigger the rule with "Issue Updated" trigger. I need the Initiative (parent) to be the trigger issue since I am using "Copy field value from trigger issue" to edit the Epic (child). I need this to be the case because if I use the Epic as a trigger then copying values using {{issue.parent.customfield_xxxxx.value}} and {{issue.Parent Link.customfield_xxxxx.value}} does not work.
I have a workaround already which involves two rules and works as follows:
Rule 1: Issue updated > IF "Parent Link" is not EMPTY > Branch Rule JQL: issuekey = {{issue.Parent Link}} > Add comment
Rule 2 (Allowed trigger from other rules): Issue commented > Branch Rule JQL: "Parent Link" = {{issue.key}} > Edit Issue: copy fields.
BUT these don't cover cases where links exist and the field values are changed, I will probably need another rule for it.
All of this could be avoided if the parent was updated when linked through Plans, does anyone know why linking through plans does not update the parent? or a way to trigger the update event?