I hope this is a quick and easy question. I work for a small organization that (for reasons) uses Jira Software Data Center. The smallest Jira Software DC license available is for 500 users. We are closer to 100 users, but since 500 is the smallest available, we go with it and swallow the cost. Occasionally, I have a user request a Marketplace app. When they find out that we need to license at the 500-user tier even though we only have 100 users, they usually (gasp and then) ask why. I explain to them that the app’s licensed user count must match Jira’s and that 500 users is the smallest available. They then point to the smaller user count tiers on the app's pricing page. I usually reply with, “I don’t know. That’s just not for us, unfortunately.”
I’d like to give users a better answer. I suspect that at one time Jira DC licenses were available at the lower user tier levels, and those were removed at some point before we bought in. But instead of forcing users with licenses at those lower tiers to move to a 500-user license, Atlassian grandfathered them in, which is why "Up to 50 users," "Up to 100 users," and "Up to 250" users are still listed in the app pricing, even though it's no longer a Jira licensing option for new customers.
Anyone able to confirm my theory or provide the real answer?
Thank you,
Pete