I am 3 users away from reaching my license limit.
Many (most) users are in a delegated LDAP directory, and are set there as disabled.
At first I tried deleting the disabled users from the Jira DB, as documented here:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-delete-jira-user-from-database-733937809.html
That caused some errors, where for example the Assignee dropdown would not load, and the recommended SQL produced user IDs which were not correct. So, I rolled back the database change.
Next, I tried simply disabling the users (I only learned this was an option afterwards) as explained here:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/create-edit-or-remove-a-user-938847025.html
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/bulk-disable-jira-users-1063562242.html
This worked well, but then users complained that they were not able to see their dashboards - it turns out that some dashboards and filters were owned by inactive users, so once again I rolled back the change.
Now, I MUST clean my inactive users, but going into this activity for the third time now, I really, really, don't want to have to do another rollback.
My question is this:
What are ALL of the possible negative side effects of deactivating multiple users? What can possibly go wrong and what steps must I take to ensure nothing breaks when I deactivate them next time?