We did Windows patching this weekend and Jira didn't restart after the reboot. Same patch works fine in our dev environment. We don't get the Jira start-up screen at all. This is Jira Server 9.4.1 w/ SQL Server database. I've tried the following suggestions from this article
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/troubleshoot-a-jira-data-center-server-startup-failed-error-394464512.html
Increased maximum memory pool RAMCleared plugin cache directoriesDeleted disabled plugins from the pluginstate tableRemoved plugins from installed plugins directoryChecked there is not lock file
Sorry for the double post, but wanted to mark this as the solution.
The root cause ended up being that the shutdown port set in atlassian\jira\conf\server.xml was being used by another process. Not sure how this happened because we have had the same port configured for 3 years. The fix was to change to an unused port.
Hello @Jason Saunders ,
Do you see any errors in the logs?
At what point do things begin going bad?Is the server connected to the database?
What did the patching include?
I.e. JVM upgrade, OS security etc. This may guide you
Is there sufficient RAM to increase the JVM heap size in the first instance?
Have you cleared the server and data temp directories?
Maybe try these first.
%JIRA_SERVER_INSTALL/temp/ Note, do not delete temp, just the contents.
%JIRA_HOME/tmp/ As above, only the contents
The errors that I see in the atlassian-jira.log files are:
2023-05-22 07:39:42,243-0400 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.event.internal.AsynchronousAbleEventDispatcher] There was an exception thrown trying to dispatch event [com.atlassian.analytics.api.events.AnalyticsConfigChangedEvent@5868bcb9] from the invoker [com.atlassian.event.internal.ComparableListenerInvoker@1f5377ab]
2023-05-22 07:39:47,525-0400 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.s.core.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleManager] LifecycleAware.onStart() failed for component with class 'com.spartez.jira.plugins.ephor.components.Application' from plugin 'com.spartez.jira.plugins.ephor-for-jira'
The other thing that I have noticed is when I try to stop the Windows service, it hangs. The service doesn't stop and I have to kill the service from the task manager.
Dev environments tend to be less restrictive with regards security etc. so if something like that pops up then you may want to delve a little deeper.
I am not familiar with windows so hopefully someone with knowledge of windows can assist Have you tried to clear out the temp folders and restart?
Given your error seems from what you have posted to be a plugin issue also delete these two folders data/plugins/.osgi-plugins and data/plugins/.bundled-plugins
N.B. The above should only be done while the server is offline
Thanks for the reply.
I have a cleared out both temp folders and restarted with no luck.
I have deleted the .osgi-plugins and .bundled-plugins folders multiple times and restarted with no luck.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.